Sunday, March 21, 2010

Do No Harm

So, I haven't written specifically about my recovery in a few weeks, but based on my posts, you've seen that I am working out daily and am able to do something new each day.  I continue to push my body each day, BUT I stop short of "doing harm".  There is no point in making my body match my brain at the cost of my healing progress and further injury.  This past week at my full-time job (I'm an engineering manager) was really stressful as I was put in a really difficult position by my upper management and the HR department.  They were asking me to do something that was unethical and completely outside of protocol, and I was forced to refuse to comply with their instructions, stand my ground for what I know is right, and "dying on that hill" and losing my job.  This story is not over as I go back into work on Monday, but what does this have to do with health and fitness?  Well, referring back to a previous blog about Knowing Thyself and Why We Workout, my "why" was fueled this week, and as a result, I wanted to push myself harder.  The concept of pushing one's self, whether injured or not, made me think about this next topic... Do No Harm.  


It's a dangerous business, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep on your feet, there's no telling where you might be swept off to."

It may or may not have occurred to you that along your fitness journey you may experience an injury or two.  There is risk in everything, and fitness training is no exception. And while to most people it is an acceptable risk it doesn't by any means suggest that one should be foolhardy and frivolous with his or her body! That's where our common sense comes in. Now, I can hear the gasps as I wrote that last phrase. Many of my previous blogs have centered around  letting your body do the work and leaving our heads outside the gym door. Guilty as charged. But I am referring to our the emotions and programmed fears that actually can contribute to injury and failure. 



Recognition and decision making are integral parts of the fitness process.

For example fish pose, crane, and bridge with leg raise during Yoga, especially in P90X Yoga X, may be something you aspire to, but by all means take a moment to decide if the benefits of those extreme postures are worth the risks at your point in both your life and your fitness program.  That is not to say they shouldn't be attempted- ever, but it does mean that you may have to modify and work up to those goals. Are you frustrated, because you can't do a pull-up and are tired of the bands? Don't twist and strain needlessly. Try using a chair to get your chin over the bar and doing negative pull-ups! (Starting with chin over the bar lower yourself very slowly down to a hanging position.) Same muscles, same benefit, much less risk to your neck and back but great results.  So what does this mean in terms of how far is too far? In my experience, I would say that you should push yourself until you can no longer do the workout, the move, the rep, etc. with good form.  This should guarantee that you will be pushing yourself into the burn, which is where improvement thrives!!

Tony Horton says: It's about getting results not about getting hurt.

Step out onto the fitness road.

Keep your feet, and head, about you.

Get fit not hurt!

No comments:

Post a Comment