Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Mirror Mirror

Imagine driving your car with the windows painted over using only a stopwatch a map and your speedometer to guide you. It can be done but it's pretty stressful and progress would be very very slow. Exercising without a mirror can be a similar circumstance. A mirror, even one as small as 36x36, placed at the correct angle will allow you to view your workout and provide instant feed back on technique, posture and, yes, results. But equally important the visual component short circuits the brain into focusing on your environment and not on the typical emotional detractors to exercise. Viewing the exercise process instinctively involves all your senses into working together and the results are dramatic. Don't believe me? Do a simple test. Keep accurate records of your workouts and the next cycle do as many of the resistance moves in front of your dressing mirror as is practical and see if you don't notice first: your concentration and focus changes and second, for some reason, you are able to crank out one or two more reps. Once you perform this experiment I guarantee you'll become a believer in the notion that it's really our heads that get in the way of our bodies performing and view your fitness program in a entirely new light. Good luck!

2 comments:

  1. Agree! I love the mirror!! It's also amazing at how much more you push yourself when you are using it. For example, I was taking a Power Fusion (1/2 hi-lo and plyos, and 1/2 weights) class tonight and in our hi-lo sequence there was one part we had to do 3 air jacks in a row. Personally, I know that if I wasn't working out in front of a mirror, I don't think my air jacks would have been as high. I was able to see my form and how high I got, and was able to push myself a bit harder to make it that much better :-).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Annie.. i'm going to post it to my website with a link here!

    I agree whole-heartedly about the mirror.. the ONLY exercises i cannot benefit by looking in the mirror are any floor exercises that involve the buttox.. i have to concentrate on keeping my hips straight and the only way to do that is to "feel" it.. but when i work arms shoulders and the like?? i get addicted to the look of the form and the shredded look that are becoming of that area and i zone into it. lol

    ReplyDelete